‘Harry Potter’ Book Covers Recreated As Minimalistic Mesmerizing GIFs
by designer and illustrator Jace Martinez
please tag your porn
The Best of Cards Against Humanity: It’s kind of like the extremely offensive version of Apples to Apples.
I played it for the first time this evening with my friends and here were the best ones. (They aren’t meant to be taken seriously, of course!)
More Macklemore, less Robin Thicke.
And yet a huge percentage of Tumblr hates him. Not trying to be confrontational, but could someone please explain to me why this is?
Because he is a straight white guy and Tumblr isn’t always right.
Yup. A lot of people like to ignore all the good things he does simply because he is part of the privileged. Never mind that he flat out acknowledges this in Same Love. (“I may not be the same, but that’s not important.”)
BLESS YOUR SOULS.
BLESS YOUR FUCKING SOULS.
I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT STAND THAT FUCKING A LOT OF TUMBLR HATES MACKLEMORE.
BECAUSE HONESTLY, HE WAS EVERYTHING THEY WERE COMPLAINING WHITE PEOPLE AREN’T AND NOW THAT THEY GOT A FUCKING ROLEMODEL THEY SUDDENLY COMPLAIN?????? BECAUSE HE’S WHITE?????
Macklemore grew up privileged, yes, but he understands the inequality and the disturbing gap between rich and poor. He has a song called White Privilege:
"Hiphop started off in a block that I’ve never been to
To counter act a struggle that I’ve never even been through
If I think I understand just because I flow too
That means I’m not keeping it true, nope.”
"But as I’m blessed with the privilege, they’re still left with the scars"
AND HAVE YOU HEARD HIS SONG CLAIMING THE CITY???
"I grew up on Capitol Hill,
With two parents and two cars.
They had a beautiful marriage, we even had a swing set in our yard.
My mom didn’t have a job, because my dad made enough money that we could live comfortably and he could support us.
Now, he commute to Tacoma, so we knew we be good.
But then I realized everybody looked just like me in my neighborhood.
I go to school, which was diverse.
But indeed us, I got sandwiches and Capri Suns well my friends ate their free lunch.
It’s crazy trying to look back, cause when I was growing up
I didn’t understand the fact was there’s something called a social status.
And my black friends wanted my financial bracket.
And then my city’s divided,
From neighborhood to neighborhood
We’re polarized but we claim we’re progressive.
The police shoot in the hood but never once in my residence.
As a white person been shot at we’d stopped in a Lexus.
And to think that we have claimed that so much has changed”
OH GOODNESS ME, HE’S SUCH AN ASSHOLE. HE’S SO PRIVILEGED GOD.
HOW ABOUT A WAKE???
"Don’t wanna be that white dude, million man marchin’
Fighting for our freedom that my people stole
Don’t wanna make all my white fans uncomfortable
But you don’t even have a fuckin’ song for radio
Why you out here talkin race, tryin’ to save the fuckin’ globe
Don’t get involved with the causes in mind
White privilege, white guilt, at the same damn time
So we just party like it’s nineteen ninety nine
Celebrate the ignorance while these kids keep dying.”
Tumblr needs to hop down off it’s high fucking horse and instead of turning against a potential role model and ally to all that they’ve been fucking preaching about JUST BECAUSE HE’S PRIVILEGED AND WHITE, maybe make him an icon because he’s not rapping about disrespecting women. He’s making a small change. But because he grew up with a well structured family environment and he was able to afford everything he desired, he’s suddenly the enemy.
Macklemore hate is proof that Tumblr’s brand of militant social justice is just made up of a bunch of people with either a victimization fetish and/or a hateful, angry heart seeking acceptable targets, and they then proceed to poison the people that really just want to do good, ultimately mangling a good cause beyond recognition.
And 99% of people who complain about the first lyric of “Same Love” have never actually listened beyond that. Somebody tells them “The song starts with ‘when i was in the third grade i thought that i was gay’” and they start clutching their pearls because surely the whole song is just some straight dude making lgbtqa rights all about him and how he thinks because he thought he was gay when he was eight he knows all about it. And maybe it’s not the best way to word the beginning of the song, BUT IF YOU ACTUALLY LISTEN OR READ BEYOND THAT it turns out it’s a segue into talking about ridiculous stereotypes and preconceived ideas about sexuality and questioning why someone would think it was a bad idea to be gay in the first place. And then it goes on to discuss the homophobia inherent in the music genre he’s a part of and calling his peers out on slurs and derogatory language and hypocrisy in religion, and it beautifully features Mary fucking Lambert, and goddammit I had trouble driving home when I first heard it in the car because I was fucking crying.
Macklemore is a privileged individual who consistently and vocally acknowledges his privileges and strives to use it to do legitimate good, which is everything Tumblr claims it wants, but as soon as he starts, they scream for him to shut up. Because their need to rage and scream and hate and wallow in willful ignorance is more important to them than seeing actual change take place anywhere in the world.
so glad i came across this post. you have to remember that tumblr :so called “activists” like to comment on anything that seems potentially bad, even if that means over-shadowing great points and progress that a lot of people, both gay and straight have wished for.
Alright, here’s something funny. These boys in my hall went outside in their undies to take some photos in the snow. Funny, right? They’re trying to get attention and it’s hilarious. Us ladies choose to do the same, we are wearing more clothing, and are doing the exact same poses. We are wearing as much clothing as is acceptable at the pool or the beach, at the gym, etc.
There is a serious double standard here— us girls have gotten responses like:
"What’s the point of being half naked?"
"*ahem* sluts *ahem*"
"What’s wrong with you females?"
Or worse, what my mother said. Her initial shock was apparently because she thought I was in my underwear, but when I told her I was in a swimsuit, she was suddenly happy I was having fun in college.
The idea here is that we are doing the same thing. When arguing this point with one of my hallmates, he said “But men’s bodies aren’t built the same, you don’t see girls getting pumped up over a topless guy, but how many guys do you think are gonna get all crazy over a topless girl?” Seriously? Really? Women don’t need to dress in order to avoid a reaction from men. You’re mad because you can’t control yourself? Men can pose in their undies in the snow without an issue because women aren’t going to go wild over it? Keep it in your pants, that’s your responsibility, not ours.
The double standards are killin’ me.
"Keep it in your pants, that’s your responsibility, not ours." Is literally one of the best quotes I’ve ever heard. Thank you.
Holy shit….really though.
i havent seen this post in like a year omg
8 Ways To Say I Love You
1. Spit it into her voicemail, a little slurred and sounding like the shot whiskey you downed for courage. Feel as ashamed as you do walking into work in last night’s clothes. Wake up cringing for days, waiting for her to mention it.
2. Sigh it into her mouth, wedged in between teeth and tongues. Don’t even let your lips move when you say it, ever so lightly, into the air. Maybe it was just an exhalation of ecstasy.
3. Buy her flowers. Buy her chocolate. Buy her a teddy bear, because that’s what every romantic comedy has taught you. Take her out to a nice restaurant where neither of you feel comfortable and spend the whole night clearing your throat and tugging at your tie. Feel like your actions are more suited to a proposal than the simple confession of something you’ve always known.
4. Whisper it into her hair in the middle of the night, after you’ve counted the space between her breaths and are certain she’s asleep. Shut your eyes quickly when she shifts toward you in askance. Maybe you were just sleep whispering.
5. Blurt it out in the middle of an impromptu dance party in the kitchen, as clumsy as your two left feet. When time seems to freeze, hastily tack on “in that shirt” or “when you make your award-winning meatballs” or, if you are feeling particularly brave, “when we do this.” Resume dancing and pretend you don’t feel her eyes on you the rest of the night.
6. Write her a letter in which the amount of circumnavigating and angst could rival Mr. Darcy’s. Debate where to leave it all day – on her pillow? In her coat pocket? Throw it away in frustration, conveniently leaving it face up in the trashcan, her name scrawled on the front in your sloppy handwriting. Let her wonder if you meant it.
7. Wait until something terrible has happened and you can’t not tell her anymore. Wait until she almost gets hit by a car crossing Wabash against the light and after you are done cursing at the shit-for-brains cab drivers in this city, realize you are actually just terrified of living without her. Tell her with your hands shaking.
8. Say it deliberately, your tongue a springboard for every syllable. Over coffee, brushing your teeth side-by-side, as you turn off the light to go to sleep – it doesn’t matter where. Do not adorn it with extra words like “I think” or “I might.” Do not sigh heavily as if admitting it were a burden instead of the most joyous thing you’ve ever done. Look her in the eyes and pray, heart thumping wildly, that she will turn to you and say, “I love you too.”
|—||R. MCKINLEY, DEC. 1, 2012 (via tellittothemasses)|